In my quest to find a way to clean my wood furniture, I came across a video showing how to shine a wood table with a simple banana. I haven’t tried it yet, but the results were quite shocking. Below is the video plus 7 more cleaning tips you should know about.
How to Clean Wood Furniture with a Banana
Affiliate links included. Full disclosure here.
- Remove water stains- rub plain, white toothpaste on the stain until the stain has lifted. Or you can use mayonnaise. Leave overnight and wipe away with a soft cloth.
- Remove scratches- Rub a walnut into the scratch until scratch has lifted.
- Remove ink marks- make a thin paste of 1 tablespoon baking soda and a few teaspoons of water. Rub into stain until removed.
- Remove old polish and build up- steep two black tea bags in boiling water. Let tea cool down to room temperature. Use a soft cloth to wipe down wood furniture. The tannic acid in the tea will help remove the old polish and make your furniture shine again.
- Clean unfinished wood- wipe down with a microfiber cloth. If unsure if unfinished, place a few drops of water on the wood. If it beads, then it is varnished. If it soaks up, it is unfinished.
- DIY Homemade furniture polish- 1 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup of vinegar and a few drops of lemon essential oil.
- DIY Homemade wood furniture wax- 1 part beeswax, 4 parts walnut oil.
- Maintenance- keep wood furniture away from fireplaces and radiators. When placing decorative items on table, make sure to use padding or protectors. Wipe up any and all messes as soon as they happen.
Please share with your friends!
You might enjoy: