We may earn commissions (at no additional cost to you) from Amazon and/or other affiliates when qualifying purchases are made through links on this blog. See full disclosure here.
In this post, I’ll share with you a simple recipe for a toilet bowl cleaner that’s made with all-natural ingredients.
This DIY cleaner works wonderfully to clean some of the toughest stains from your toilet.
To find out how to make a homemade toilet bowl cleaner then keep reading below!
DIY Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Affiliate links included. Full disclosure here.
If I had to list all things that I hate cleaning in my home, cleaning the toilet would be #1.
I hate how it smells, I hate how it looks and I especially hate those accidental “splashes” that happen when you are using the scrubbing brush. Ew! But hey! Someone has to clean it (points two thumbs at myself) because otherwise it would reek for years.
Although cleaning the bathroom toilet is my least favorite pastime, I am constantly looking for ways to make cleaning it more bearable. On my quest of discovering ways to make cleaning the toilet easier, I found a couple of hacks as well as an amazing recipe for a homemade toilet cleaner that smells absolutely incredible.
This recipe calls for 3 simple ingredients that’s natural, non-toxic and does a wonderful job to clean and disinfect even the nastiest of toilets.
The 3 Main Ingredients that Makes This Toilet Cleaner the Best Ever!
Due to it’s alkaline nature, baking soda is a wonderful cleaning agent! Baking soda is a safe and effecting cleaner because it can dissolve grease and dirt, neutralize odors, act as a mild abrasive and is non-toxic. Baking soda has so many uses around the home that I would consider it a household staple.
Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon Essential Oil is widely recognized for its natural antiseptic, antifungal, and antiviral properties. Using it in this mixture not only makes it smell amazing but makes it a more powerful cleaner for your toilet as it works wonderfully to dissolve dirt and grime.
Castile Soap also creates a nice, clean and fluffy lather that requires less water to create. So with Castile Soap, a little goes a long way making it one of the most economical products to clean your home with.
- Squeeze Bottle
- Baking Soda
- Dr. Bronner’s Unscented Castile Soap
- Lemon Essential Oil
- (Optional) Labels
- (Optional) Hydrogen Peroxide
The recipe for an all-natural toilet bowl cleaner is as follows:
- 1 cup distilled/purified water
- 3/4 cups Baking Soda
- 1/2 tablespoons Unscented Castile Soap
- 15-20 drops Lemon Essential Oil
Instructions: Mix water, castile soap and baking soda in a squeeze bottle. Add lemon essential oil and gently shake or swirl bottle. Squeeze mixture on the inside of your toilet bowl and allow to sit for 15-30 minutes. Scrub with a toilet brush and flush toilet. Repeat as necessary to remove any hard to clean stains or lingering smells.
- To speed up cleaning process, you can mist or pour hydrogen peroxide over the mixture while it sits in the toilet. Do NOT add hydrogen peroxide to the product bottle as it may cause it to burst.
- Be careful to not shake mixture too vigorously as gases from the baking soda will make the lid pop off and there will be a mess! Trust me on this 😉
- Mixture can be kept for up to 2 weeks for maximum efficiency.
- Feel free to substitute Lemon Essential oil for a variety of other disinfecting cleaning oils of your choice.
- Always consult a professional on the proper dilution and use of essential oils in regards to your unique situation if you have any sensitives/allergies, pets or small children.
I really hope you enjoyed this post! As always, Happy Cleaning! Any questions or comments to add? Feel free to leave a comment below.
PLEASE SHARE with your friends 🙂