In this post, I will share quick and easy holiday cleaning tips that will make your home sparkle and shine (as well as impress your in-laws!)
Get your home into tip top shape with these amazing cleaning hacks below!
Cleaning Tips for the Holidays
Affiliate links included. Full disclosure here.
1. Make a cleaning tote to save time.
You’ll want to grab a couple of caddies and fill it with all of your favorite cleaning supplies. Place one in each room of your house. No more running all over to find the things that you need. Plus having everything in one place will save a ton of time. Cleaning wipes, disinfecting sprays and microfiber cloths are a just few items that I would recommend having on hand.
2. Use dryer sheets to dust and clean.
The anti-static chemicals in dryer sheets work wonderfully to repel dust. Grab a few sheets to dust your baseboards as well as your furniture to keep them dust free. They also work really well to clean your chrome faucets.
3. Get rid of smells from your garbage disposal by cleaning the flanges.
If you have an offensive smell coming from your kitchen, one of the culprits may very well be your garbage disposal. Make sure to lift the flanges and scrub away any grime with a toothbrush dipped in white vinegar or baking soda as well as run a cycle of hot water, baking soda and lemon peels through your disposal.
4. Add a few drops of vanilla extract to your HVAC filters.
Or you can use a few drops of your favorite essential oil or any other scent to you air filters every couple of weeks to make your home smell lovely with little to no effort.
5. Clip Febreze car vent air fresheners to the your shower curtain in your bathroom.
If you have a few guests coming over for the holidays there’s the likelihood that your bathroom will receive high traffic. As a favor to your guest discreetly place Febreze car vents clips on the shower curtain to keep your bathroom smelling fresh.
6. Use a barbicide container filled with your favorite cleaning solution to keep your toilet brush clean.
Banish your stinky toilet brush forever with this incredible hack from Makezine. Instead of housing your brush in the container it comes with opt to use a cosmetic barbicide container. Fill it with 1/4 of cleaning solution and you’ll never have to worry about a smelly brush again.
7. Use olive or baby oil to shine your stainless steel appliances.
Keep you stainless steel appliances extremely shiny and fingerprint free by using a small bit of baby oil and a microfiber cloth to buff it out. You can also try using a solution of olive oil mixed with a few drops of lemon essential oil for the same, if not better, effect.
8. Clean your oven overnight with ammonia, no scrubbing required.
Simply heat your oven to 200°F and then turn oven off. Place a dish of ammonia on top oven rack and a dish of boiling water underneath. Close oven door and let sit overnight. When you wake, simply wipe your oven clean.
9. Use coffee grounds to keep your refrigerator smelling fresh.
After making your morning joe, drain the water from your used coffee grounds and place inside of a small dish. Leave this in your fridge to absorb smells.
10. Keep your refrigerator clean by lining the shelves with wax paper.
Wax paper is inexpensive and very easy to use. Simply cut and tape wax paper to your refrigerator shelves to keep them clean and grime free.
11. Remove baked on grease from your cookie sheets and pans with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda.
If you plan on cooking for the holidays, breathe new life into your pans that have baked grease on them by sprinkling the problem areas with baking soda. Spray with hydrogen peroxide and use Brillo pads to scrub.
12. Place a 1-2 drops of vanilla extract on your lightbulbs.
13. Sprinkle baking soda on furniture and leave overnight to get rid of smells.
Before heading to bed, sprinkle baking soda over your furniture and carpet. The baking soda will help absorb bad smells. In the morning, vacuum as usual.
14. Spray your windows, shower doors and mirrors with Rain-X.
Rain-X helps prevent water stains and grime for weeks. It works wonderfully on mirrors, your shower doors and windows and will make cleaning easier. To keep these things clean for extended periods of time, spray the with Rain-X window cleaner and wipe clean with a microfiber cloth.
15. Use an iron to get rid of set in carpet stains.
If you want to get rid of unsightly carpet stains, simply pour a mixture of white vinegar and water on the stain. Take a towel and lay flat over it. Place your iron on the towel, while set to the highest level of steam, for a few seconds and the towel will absorb the stain.
I really hope these cleaning tips help make you day go by a little bit smoother. If you really enjoyed this post, make sure to share with your friends 🙂
You might enjoy: 27 Old Wives’ Tale Cleaning Hacks Grandma Forgot to Tell You About!