We may earn commissions (at no additional cost to you) from Amazon and/or other affiliates when qualifying purchases are made through links on this blog. See full disclosure here.
Here’s a simple collection of tried and tested stain removal hacks that have stood the test of time.
If you want to know how to get rid of those set in grease or ink stains from some of your favorite clothes, keep scrolling below to check them out!
Clothing Stain Removal Tips
Affiliate links included. Full disclosure here.
Via Mommy Scene
- Blot stain with paper towel.
- Cover stain with baby powder.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Brush away powder
- Repeat Steps 2 and 3 until stain is gone.
If the stain is still on the fabric after following the above steps, try creating a paste of cornstarch and water and scrub with a toothbrush. Or you can try the hacks below.
Via Home Hacks
Rubbing white chalk on grease stains are also a great at home remedy. Rub stain with chalk and launder as usual. This also works extremely well for rings around the collar.
If you have a few cans of WD-40 around, you will definitely want to try this. Place a piece of cardboard in between the fabric and spray set in oil stain with WD-40. Pour baking soda over stain and use a clean toothbrush to scrub baking soda until it clumps. Pour a small amount of Dawn dish soap over the stain and scrub again with toothbrush. Launder fabric as normal.
- Soak stain in cold water.
- Using a sponge, apply rubbing alcohol to the stain.
- Rinse with cool water.
If stain is on white fabric or is hard to remove, use a small amount of hydrogen peroxide and scrub stain with toothbrush.
- Pour salt onto wet stain. *If stain is dry skip to step 4*
- Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Brush away salt.
- Make a paste of cream of tartar and lemon juice and apply to stain.
- Let sit for 4 hours.
- Wash fabric as normal.
For tougher ink stains, blot with denatured alcohol which can be purchased at your local hardwood store.
- Cut a white onion in half.
- Scrub mark with the fleshy side of onion.
- Allow fabric to sit for 1 hour.
- Soak stain in room temperature water.
- Launder as normal.
Mildew and Mold Stains
- Scrub any mold or mildew marks with a toothbrush.
- Use 1 cup of white vinegar in a bucket of cold water and soak clothes for 1 hr.
- Wash clothes as normally.
- Carefully scrape off any dried paint.
- Rinse stain with warm water.
- For water-based paint stains, blot with rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover.
- For oil-based paint stains, blot stain with turpentine. Then saturate stain with clothing detergent and let soak overnight in hot water.
- Wash clothes as normally.
- Soak stain in cold salty water.
- Rub stain with a bar of soap.
- Dab stain with diluted ammonia.
- Launder fabric as normally.
For fresh stains, soak stain in hydrogen peroxide or white vinegar.
Coffee or Chocolate
- Mix 1/4 cup of Borax and 2 cups cold water.
- Soak stained fabric in mixture overnight.
- Launder as normally.
Please share with your friends!
You might enjoy: 25 Housekeeping Tips from Grandma You’ll Wish You Known About Sooner!